Sunday, August 16, 2026

The Other Mattatuck

One of the first things you learn when you study the history of Waterbury is that the town was originally called Mattatuck, an Anglicized version of a Paugussett word. The earliest appearance of the word in Connecticut is a deed from 1657/8 in which the Tunxis agreed to sell "a tract of land called Matetucke" to two land speculators, colonists from Farmington. In 1673, when others from Farmington were interested in starting up a new settlement, the colonial government recorded the name Mattatuck as both "Mattatock" and "Matitacoocke." Spelling in this era was often phonetic, based on the scribe's hearing of the word. 

The meaning of the word, however it was spelled, was not recorded at the time. Historians during the later nineteenth century determined that it meant "the place without trees" or "the badly wooded land" and was more correctly spelled "matuh'tugk" or "mat'ughtugk-ohke," depending on the precise translation. This did not mean that trees couldn't grow here: Connecticut's indigenous societies set controlled fires each year to prevent trees from growing, making it easier to hunt deer. The area may have been called "mattatuck" because it was maintained as a hunting ground.

The specific location of the original tract of land called Matetucke is unclear, but when colonists from Farmington wanted to start a new settlement in 1674, they said it would be "at Mattatuck, situate on each side of the Mattatuck river." They named their village Mattatuck and called it that until 1686, when the settlement was incorporated as the town of Waterbury.

 

Welcome to the other Mattatuck!

 

Before our Mattatuck was started, the village of Mattituck was established on Long Island. In 1649, settlers of Southold purchased land on the eastern end of the island which included "Corchaug and Mattatuck and all other Tracts of land by what names soever named...." The colonists of Long Island soon started the Village of Mattituck, which still exists today as part of the Town of Southold.

Friday, June 19, 2026

Black Members of Wadhams Post No. 49

In the archives of the Silas Bronson Library is an oversize leather-bound book containing handwritten biographical information and photographs of a number of Civil War veterans belonging to Wadhams Post No. 49, Grand Army of the Republic. Three of those veterans were Black men enslaved from birth in the South who escaped during the war, joined the North's armies, and eventually moved to Waterbury.


 

Saturday, January 24, 2026

The Journal of Josiah Atkins

One of the most important Revolutionary War documents from the Waterbury area is a journal kept by Josiah Atkins during his time in the Continental Army. His journal is now part of the New Haven Museum collection. A scan and transcription of the journal is available on their website. A transcription of the journal was published by the Mattatuck Museum in 1954.

 




The journal provides important insight into the Revolutionary War era, both in terms of his military experience and in terms of his thoughts on slavery and on the fact that many of the founding fathers who claimed to care about the rights of all mankind and claimed to support the principal of liberty kept people enslaved for their own profit.

 

Saturday, January 17, 2026

The Goss House

I've been seeing a lot of buzz about this house on Facebook, with people wanting to know more about it. So here is some of its history. 

The Goss House, 70 Hillside Avenue, Photo from Realtor.com, 2025

 

The house was built as a wedding present for Ella Young and John H. Goss, who were married in 1901. Construction started in 1901 and was finished in 1903. Construction was paid for by Ella's father, Alden M. Young, while John Goss's father, C.P. Goss, contributed the land.