Sunday, July 01, 2007

Home Depot en Espanol

The other day the self-checkout machines at Home Depot had a glitch that defaulted their spoken language to Spanish, even if you selected English. The woman monitoring that section immediately came over and overrode the machine for me, apologizing for the inconvenience. I really didn't mind at all. I can cope with a register in Espanol--numbers are numbers.

Just as I was finishing my transaction, a man (white) started using the register next to mine and became furious when the machine started speaking Spanish to him. He absolutely could not cope with it. Nearly 25% of this city are native speakers of Spanish, 40% in the downtown area (where Home Depot is located), and this man freaks out when the register speaks Spanish.

Maybe he's from the suburbs.

No comments: