Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I don't approve this message...

I don't know when it started or why, but all of the political campaign commercials I've seen in the past month end with the candidate saying "I approve this message." Most of the commercials are narrated by the candidate, and most of them have the candidate as the only speaker.

Of course you approve the message! You just delivered it! It's your commercial!

It makes me wonder if there is a single ad agency responsible for all the commercials. Maybe there are only two or three, and they aren't creative enough to come up with anything else. It's annoying to the point where I'm almost willing to say that I will vote for any candidate who runs an ad that doesn't end with that statement. But, it would probably turn out to be a candidate I really don't like. On the other hand, I would love to see a candidate who isn't afraid to be different from all the other politicians.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Waterbury Girl! I like your blog. (I happen to work for the Republican-American and drop in on your site on occasion.)

This "I approve this message" stuff is, I think, because of the new campaign finance laws that went into effect last year. The reason you didn't see it until this year is probably because there wasn't a whole lot of TV advertising during the municipal election (except for Mr. Jarjura, of course).

Keep up the good work!