Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Super Cool!

The kids on my street have started a new thing this summer (or it's a new group of kids, lots of renters here). Usually late in the day, they'll get together in a group, more-or-less a circle, and start clapping and chanting the beat, taking turns to bust their moves in the center of the group. Maybe I'm just old, but it's great to see kids doing something positive. It's cool enough to make me want to take out my sketchpad and start drawing them (but I don't want to make them self-conscious).

They were at it for a pretty long time, off and on, this Sunday. At the end of the evening, while some of them were waiting for their ride home, a few of the kids sat on the porch and sang the Star Spangled Banner.

While there certainly are times when all I want is total quiet, I love living in a neighborhood where people really live, instead of just going there to sleep and watch tv. I've lived on streets where you never see your neighbors, and that's kind of sad.

No comments: