Thursday, January 27, 2011

Winter Wonderland

As in, I wonder where my fence is?  and, I wonder where I'm going to put all this snow?

Some of the folks across the street started shoveling at 7 a.m. I didn't. I crawled back in bed, read the news about the Governor asking everyone to stay off the roads, and decided I would probably not be able to do everything I had planned for today.



Eventually I tried going outside. The sun was shining, which was great.



By the time I finally got my boots and coat on, the guys next door had shoveled a path to the street along my sidewalk and through my driveway. After I started shoveling, one of the guys came out to help.




This is the path from the driveway to the front porch. Earlier this winter, I tried shoveling all the way down to the dirt. I gave up on that about three storms ago.




The view down Wood Street. The good thing about all this snow is that neighbors are being even more neighborly than usual. There's a "we're all in this together" attitude.


The impressive thing about the snow in my front yard is that it faces south, so you would think the sun would have melted it down a little. Nope.



My driveway. Just barely wide enough to get my car out. Barely.



There was some hostility expressed when the city plow driver refused requests to plow the common area in back of the row houses, which is understandable since our lives are at risk if the fire engines can't get into the common area because there's so much snow, and it's way too big an area to shovel.

Also, quite frankly, there is absolutely nowhere left for us to pile up the snow. We desperately need the city to bring the heavy equipment and haul away some of the snow piles.


This is the moment I've been waiting for all month. The snow in the back yard is now the same height as the fence!

No comments: