Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pyro

I wouldn't have guessed it, but the blue plastic garbage cans issued to every household by the city are highly susceptible to fire. There's a firebug in my neighborhood who has set a few on fire--the result is a surprisingly small pile of blackened, hardened goo where the can used to be. An abandoned mattress or couch has also been torched

Whoever it is has been setting them on fire one at a time. Maybe three so far, and apparently always around three or four in the morning. I haven't witnessed anything, (my trash can is untouched so far, and I sleep on the other side of the house), but it certainly is making people nervous. What's next, a car? a house?

Maybe the firebug will get bored and quit. But we can't count on that. One of my neighbors said she'll let Deputy Chief Riddick know about this. I can't help but wonder if there is a connection to the big fire downtown last week. Scary stuff.

No comments: