Thursday, February 08, 2007

Just a Random Thought

Haven't had much time for blogging or email or phone calls or any in-person social interaction lately. I've started daydreaming about what I would do if I had a whole day off. I would sleep late and clean my apartment.

Meanwhile... I went to the Board of Alderman meeting this week. As mentioned in the paper, there was a 30 or 40 minute back-and-forth between Mayor Jarjura and Alderman Booker that felt an awful lot like a huge waste of time. The highlight (for me) came when Alderman Vance defended Jarjura's right to say whatever he wanted during his 5 minutes of public speaking. Vance said that if a citizen wanted to spend 5 minutes singing "Yankee Doodle Dandy," that was his right. Vance quickly looked over to Jarjura and asked him not to sing "Yankee Doodle Dandy." Everyone had a good, quick laugh. I spent the next ten minutes trying to keep myself from giggling. The image of Jarjura breaking into the song while doing a little jig kept popping into my head. It was very much a John Dorian ("Scrubs") moment. I guess this is what happens to me after sitting on a wood bench in a cold room for two hours after a long workday and with an empty stomach.

No comments: