Monday, March 12, 2007

Night Noises

Last night, between 12:30 and 1:15 a.m., somebody's car alarm went off maybe a dozen times. It's not a noise I've heard in this neighborhood before. During the fourth or fifth time, I also heard a man's voice holler out "shut up!"

There was a weird sort of camaraderie. Normally there's not a lot of interaction between all the different apartments on the block. We didn't really do much interacting last night, but it did make me laugh to hear the guy yell right when I was getting annoyed enough to consider getting out of bed and complaining. It made me realize that there might be three dozen people in the immediate area all thinking pretty much the same thing.

The car alarm was the really annoying one that cycles through a variety of different types of irritating noises. When I bought my car a few years ago, my insurance company said that car alarms don't really do much to prevent theft. All they seem to do is make the neighbors angry and force the car owner to keep checking on the car.

No comments: