Sunday, April 27, 2008

HOME Funds

I don't know the full story of what's going on at WDC with the HUD funds, but I've got a lot of questions. I qualify for the HOME program to rehab my house, but I've been told that I can't even get on the wait list because it's so long. Meanwhile, the newspaper tells us that the money isn't being spent. My impression of WDC projects is that they are hopelessly bogged down in bureaucracy, with layers of rules and project steps that make any small (under $25,000) project impossible to complete. Main Street Waterbury's Facade Renovation program has been sitting in limbo for years because of red tape at WDC. Other organizations have very straight-forward rehab loan programs--you download the application form, send them the information they need, and a month or so later, you've got your money and can fix your house.

.

No comments: